GRP and FRP composite materials are used as a pipe material in the industrial world since 1950. It was first used for wastewater plants in 1960. GRP composites are including use of fiberglass as the reinforcement and various resins as the matrix. Manufacturers of FRP pipes in India are using reinforced fiber which is long lasting and durable.
Fiberglass material is the modern glass fiber invented in 1938. It is kept molten in a large vat and drawn via dyes to create fibers. These created fibers are then bundled into rovings by professionals. The fiberglass produced at the end is used as reinforcement in plastic products.
Resin material (GRP) is classified into following types-
- Polyester – it is one of the oldest and most common resins. Polyester is economical and offer great long term corrosion resistance.
- Vinyl ester – it is a hybrid resin introduced by Dow Chemicals in 1970. This is the enhanced resin features chemical and heat resistance. This material is usually applied in industrial chemical industry for strong acids and oxidizing chemicals.
- Epoxy resins – it was first developed in 1936. Epoxy resins are known for their high strength applications. These materials are also applied in projects where curing under water is needed.
GRP and FRP pipe durability records for sewage plants
Manufacturers from around the world conducted special test series in which they studied GRP pipes. The results have yielded a heavy database that not only reveal the performance of the product, but also allows extrapolation beyond a time-scale prior attempted. In the reports, they recorded that even after 150 years of service the pipes would maintain higher safety margin as compared to other applications.
In the samples, they include a variety of pipe designs, stiffness classes, diameters, and pipe materials from different facilities. These samples were tested by the team as per the ASTM D3681, subjecting the samples to bending load, putting tensile strain in the pipe invert when it is exposed to 5% concentration of sulphuric acid to stimulate the conditions in aggressive sewage.
Advantages of GRP/ FRP pipe systems –
- Long lifespan and corrosion resistance to sulfuric acid and sulfide
- Multiple jointing methods can be used – rubber seal couplings, flanges, permanent joints.
- Light weight
- Smooth internal surface
- Speedy installation
FRP pipes India suppliers are delivering their sophisticated products across the globe today. You can easily find them online and get in touch with them.